*POSITION WILL BE LOCATED IN EITHER UNITED STATES, UNITED KINGDOM, AUSTRALIA OR CANADA AND ONLY CANDIDATES FROM THOSE LOCATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED*
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Reading M&E Advisor expands WV’s global understanding of and contribution to reading and mathematics outcomes assessment and improves evaluation, documentation, credibility, and dissemination of our program results and policy initiatives. S/he ensures consistency and rigor in our evaluations across sites with a focus on early primary school and early childhood education programming.
- Lead WV’s learning outcomes research, building capacity in the organization for evidence-driven reading improvement programming.
- Lead World Vision efforts to generate and utilize reading assessment evidence to improve programs. Thoroughly test and build our program strategies in order to enable scale up of programs.
- Build and oversee the Education & Life Skills portfolio of partnership-led reading improvement research projects.
- Manage the adaptation of current reading tools and guidance to support any recommended changes in the compendium for use by field staff who further adapt and test these tools for use in their own contexts.
- Support the evaluation of the school readiness, Grade 2, and functional reading assessments tools currently in WV’s compendium of indicators and manage consensus building around making recommendations that pay particular attention to sampling methods for subsequent editions of the compendium.
- Lead the review of the education threshold WV has set for mandating reading improvement programming in WV program impact areas; i.e., the minimum proportion of child reaching desirable mastery of reading/literacy.
- Provide oversight, vision and leadership to the application of partner-led reading improvement practices within WV structures as well as to any future Joint Venture in partnership with Save the Children.
- Manage the engagement of global partners including IRA and Save the Children’s SUPER Fellows network to link assessment professionals and recognized reading researchers with WV National Offices (NOs) to build research capacity within WV Regional Offices (ROs) and NOs.
- Represent World Vision in external technical networks to strengthen WV technical approaches to DME in consideration of relevant international standards. Position World Vision in the EGRA movement such that WV contributes to and draws from this inter-agency effort to establish baselines for given geographies on reading as a proxy for the quality of education.
- Lead the provision of technical oversight to reading assessment publications for internal and external audiences.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Master's Degree in Education at a minimum (doctorate preferred)
- Thorough understanding of research design, sampling and both qualitative and quantitative
- Advanced quantitative data analysis skills
- 10 years experience in education development-related work in international settings.
- 10 years experience with applied education or development related research
- Prior experience supporting/mentoring junior researchers
- Ability to measure the impact of literacy bridging programs that are trying to ease the linguistic interference involved in learning to read in a second language.
- Experience in measuring learning gains for older second chance learners.
- Field experience improving basic education in rural areas of least developed countries.
- Experience partnering across institutional boundaries to measure and report on improved reading outcomes.
- Experience in enabling community members themselves to engage in tracking the progress their children are making toward attaining functional levels of reading at appropriate age levels.