PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Senior Director of Application Systems will report to the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and be responsible for information systems application delivery activities for all legacy and web-based systems. Responsibilities include leadership of the IT Application Delivery functions including business analysis, design, application architecture, development, testing/quality, integration support, and project delivery support. Works closely with customers, colleagues and other stakeholders to develop, implement and operate systems that improve processes and support critical business strategies. The purpose of this position is to lead all IT personnel in, primarily, the development and maintenance of all WVI software both in house, commercial-off-the-shelf, and software-as- developed solutions for the WVI Partnership of country/national offices.
WVI's Global Information and Communications Technology (GICT) is composed of functionally aligned teams comprising analysts, developers, technicians, engineers, managers and leaders who are committed to changing the world for Jesus Christ. Everyone on the team is expected to own the team's goals and objectives. WVI is going through a transformation from localised utilisation of technology to enterprise-wide systems and solutions that unify the organization across geography and function. The leader of application systems will be responsible for developing and supporting the staff and resources required to develop and maintain the current set of solutions, developing new ones, and all relevant components for these solutions.
This critical member of the IT Senior Management team will define, prioritise, and lead the daily executions of the application delivery teams. The successful candidate will be responsible for creating a team oriented, problem-solving culture focused on delivering quality software solutions that facilitate business success for World Vision. The successful candidate will have the leadership, technical aptitude and management experience necessary to lead a team of technical resources, as well as a demonstrated ability to interact with and influence business leaders. In addition, this role is responsible for the hiring, management, and budgets across the delivery teams.
- Strategy development for delivering value to World Vision via software solutions
- Client Relationships (Engagement, Communications and Partnering):
- Develops a trusted advisor relationship with key clients and instils this competency within the Application Delivery organization
- Effectively communicates and forms partnerships with employees, partners and customers to improve IT operations, support local and global initiatives, and manage expectations therein.
- Human Capital Alignment:
- Motivates, inspires and empowers peers, employees, partners and customers to drive effective, efficient and agile IT services and the business processes enabled by such services.
- Establishes recruiting priorities while ensuring current employees are motivated and retained.
- Teams with People & Culture (HR) to create the job descriptions, organisational structure, competency profiles, skill profiles, and compensation plans.
- Manages and rewards performance.
- Teams with People & Culture to develop the Field Services career map.
- Invests in employee training, ramping and certification programs.
- Establishes employee communication and motivation programs.
- Finance and Operations:
- Manages all aspects of budget and expenses.
- Responsible for coordinating with Global Centre Finance and GICT on budget and expenses
- Creates the annual business plan and sets quarterly operating targets
- Invests in resources and infrastructure to develop repeatable, high quality business processes
- Develop a professional practice around application delivery, one that is seen as best in class and well thought of internally by the users of the service as well as externally. Partner with key vendors to augment the talent and skills in the organization and to flex staff and skill sets when needed in high-demand periods.
- Commitment to Christian culture
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of global software development and delivery in a distributed environment
- Bachelor of Science / Master of Science in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or related field required
- Technical skills necessary to discern the viability, scalability and suitability of software solutions for World Vision's environment
- Ability to recruit and build strong, customer oriented team members and mentor them to success
- Prior experience leading large application delivery, software development, design, project management and architecture teams.
- 5+ years of executive level leadership (reporting to a "C" level)
- 5+ years of experience developing global software solutions
- 12+ years of multi-national leadership experience
- Flexible and willing to take regular travel up to (50%)
- IT department management across multiple countries with at least 50 staff (including managers)
- Technical systems or services (e.g. consulting)
- Business management (including the financial aspects)
- Knowledge of systems and processes suitable for remote operations
- Bachelo'rs degree in IT, Engineering, computer science or related disciplines Master's degree preferred
- Technical skills in the core functions for IT management:
- Software delivery life cycle and related methodologies
- Project management
- IT security
- Executive level communication