PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To serve in the Global Rapid Response team, for deployment, to a large-scale emergency anywhere in the world where World Vision responds directly. The Senior Relief Coordinator is a specialist who can be deployed to an emergency site within 24 to 72 hours.
The Senior Relief Coordinator is responsible for leading the response team and building relationships with key stakeholders (government, UN, donors and Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs) for the critical duration of the response - up to three months.
During periods of non-crisis management, the Senior Relief Coordinator engages Capacity building for Responses, specifically in the Region based in. Participate in improvements to Response implementation and can engage in relevant research and writing as necessary... He/she will also have management responsibilities for some of the Global Rapid Response Team members. Provide primary liaison with Regional HEA Director for GRRT
MAJOR EMERGENCY PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage large scale emergency response as member of response team or the team leader.
- Serve as team leader when requested in pre-crisis assessments to prepare assessment reports.
- Ensure response program complies with WV and International standards (HEA, LEAP etc).
- Act upon and follow-through on preparedness planning phases.
- Where neither early warning nor pre-positioning has taken place, immediately lead out in the preparation of a series of response levels.
- Formulate immediate action steps to engage partnership stakeholders in clear, relevant and appropriate actions.(this is part of managing)
- Define plans for program and budget design and recruitment needs.
- Build relations with donors, local government, INGO’s and local NGO’s working within the UN cluster system
- Assure that the process of identifying and documenting lessons learned continues through out the program. And assure that lessons learned reports are gathered, analyzed and fed into the partnership.
- Build mechanisms for lessons learned and ongoing documentation of best practice and innovation into project plans and budgets.
- Assure that Do No Harm, Local Capacities for Peace framework, SPHERE and Child Protection policies and other international humanitarian standards are used in all design and management of relief response and disaster mitigation activities.
- Develop and implement mentoring and skills transfer efforts.
- Serve on the Humanitarian Emergency Affairs (HEA) Relief Forum whenever it meets and as time or the situation allows.
- Attend and participate in chapel and devotional meetings.
- While not responding in emergency operations the Senior Relief Coordinator will be engaged in the following:
- Management responsibilities for some of the Global Rapid Response Team members.
- Developing materials and carry out emergency response capacity building, incorporating internal and external humanitarian standards.
- Provide capacity building and mentoring for national, regional program staff, ensuring external humanitarian standards and internal standards awareness are incorporated.
- Engage in the development of strategies and proposals, and recommend response measures and structures in order to mobilize WV to developing emergencies.
- Serve as primary liaison with regional HEA function.
- Early Warning, emergency program and security assessments
- Engage and stay involved in International Humanitarian Aid and International Humanitarian Rights standards and initiatives.
- Analyze, apply and research documentation of lessons learned and best practice for emergency response.
- Lead and/or participate in Lessons Learned events and initiatives.
- Develop and maintain strategic alliances with donors, governments, INGO’s and UN agencies.
- Attending Regional Forums and educating senior leadership on HEA, policies and transitions, integrating measures and best practice for emergency response.
- Serve on the Level 2 and 3 Executive Teams when appointed.
- Contribute to HEA strategy Globally and Regionally as appropriate.
- Be available to serve in the further implementation of HEA strategies as defined by such documents, meetings, and other gatherings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- University degree in the social sciences, management or other related field.
- 5 to 10 years emergency and development programming experience.
- 5 years of senior management experience, preferably in an international relief situation.
- Flexible worldview, emotional maturity, and physical stamina.
- Ability to live an exemplary lifestyle as interpreted in specific or local contexts.
- High level of understanding in emergency response administration, program response, program design and project writing.
- High level of diplomacy skills
- Strong knowledge in computer applications including word processing and spreadsheets.
- Ability to work with a reasonably level of comfort in high tension and high security risk situations.
- Ability to adjust to harsh living conditions.
- Must be able and willing to travel 50% of the time.
- Mature Christian who models Christian Leadership in dealings with others.