PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Lead Network/Telecom Engineers are responsible for the entire lifecycle of Network and Telecommunications global solutions and platforms. They participate in capacity planning, support the creation and the maintenance of network disaster recovery plans and monitor network performance activities. They lead technical design and development of regional and global Network/Telecommunications solutions and platform projects. They work on systems/issues that are highly complex in nature.
Individuals within the Network & Telecommunications job family are primarily responsible for the entire life cycle of Network and Telecommunications global solutions and platforms, including: research and development, planning, implementation, operations, analysis, and technology migration for video, voice, and data communication systems worldwide. The operational roles participate in capacity planning, support the creation and the maintenance of network disaster recovery plans and monitor all network performance activities. They screen the network for attempted intrusions as well as design and implement appropriate network security measures and procedures. This job family is also responsible for the development, design, installation, configuration, upgrade, maintenance and evaluation of telecommunication solutions. The most senior level in this job family works closely with Architects in developing the strategic direction and building the architecture blueprint for this domain.
This job family is responsible for the design, implementation and operation of global network management systems and network operation center, including FCAPS management capabilities (Fault, Configuration, Accounting, Performance and Security), among others. They are routinely involved with the configuration and maintenance of physical and logical network components.
Responsibilities in the telecommunications area may include emerging access technologies to be implemented in the field such as Wireless, Fiber, Satellite, Mobile networks, etc, as well as enterprise solutions in Unified Communications, Video and Telepresence, etc., developing call flow designs and call routing transfer procedures based on capacity, availability requirements and network rules, as well as evaluating the impact on applications. They also coordinate service requests for repair and maintenance of network telecommunication and equipment, and order voice, video, and data telecommunications for new locations and moves/adds/changes to existing services. Individuals provide Level 2 and 3 support for network or telecommunication issues that come through the customer service center. Senior professionals within this job family are additionally involved with architecture, planning and designing the network infrastructure and enterprise global network solutions.
This job family is also responsible for the persistent research in the industry of emerging technologies that can be built into innovative global solutions to positively impact the business. As such, a high level of expertise is expected at the end of the career progression, in the areas or domains such as: Wireless Communications, Data center networking, Routing and Switching, Access and Wan Technologies, Network and Telecom Security, Unified Comms (voice) and Telepresence (video).
Individuals in this job family demonstrate a high level of knowledge surrounding networks, telecommunications, and display strong troubleshooting skills. They are skilled in the use of network diagnostic tools and software aids for the investigation of problems. They must keep abreast of new technologies and may identify and implement new technologies and processes that improve the reliability, efficiency and availability of the communications environment.
- Designates direction for LAN/WAN, internet, wireless, and remote access services.
- Development of Network/Telecom strategy aligned with business and IT strategies.
- Participates in short- and long-term planning to meet requirements.
- Short- and long-term plans for Network/Telecom systems that meet business needs.
- Works with client teams to gather requirements.
- Creates and collaborates with cross functional teams to come up with build design documents that can be implemented.
- Determines requirements impact on existing architecture, work processes and systems.
- Ensures proper communication/ review of requirements and integration for impacted areas.
- May participate in technical design review of applicable global projects.
- Explains to non-SME's how the proposed solution will support their requirements.
- Requirements and design for Network/Telecom solutions meet the needs of the business.
- Buy-in for proposed solutions.
- Coordinates and leads the deployment and review of new, modified or enhanced system hardware and software components or services.
- Successful deployment of system hardware and software components or services.
- Customer expectations are met.
- Plans and monitors the installation, configuration and maintenance of network architecture such as WAN and LAN.
- Researches, analyses and recommends the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify any deficiencies or to enhance performance.
- Works with other technical staff to ensure connectivity and compatibility between systems.
- Network/Telecom system hardware and software components meet the needs of the business.
- Network/Telecom system hardware and software maintained to provide the highest level of availability and performance of systems to users.
- Software or hardware modifications implemented to resolve issues.
- Configures and maintains routers, switches and hubs for the enterprises’ telecommunication network.
- Plans, updates and validates voice network configurations.
- Coordinates the deployment of new telecommunications components and services with the client and support teams.
- Certifies the functionality of telecommunications components and services.
- Ensures capacity planning is performed according to specifications.
- Develops and implements strategies to identify future client and technology bandwidth and capacity needs.
- Telecom system hardware and software components meet the needs of the business.
- Analysis and resolution of Telecom issues.
- Development and implementation of strategies to address future client and technology bandwidth and capacity needs.
Audio & Video Conferencing:
- May lead the planning and coordinating the resources for audio and video conferencing.
- Sets-up and conducts multiple-point conferencing for meetings, sharing of documents, computer displayed information and whiteboard.
- Audio & Video conferencing services meet the needs of the user.
FCAPS Management: (Fault, Configuration, Accounting Performance, and Security):
- Analyses network/telecom activity and problems to discover and prevent systematic errors.
- Recommends network design changes/enhancements for improved systems availability and performance.
- Analyses facilities bandwidth requirements and system interdependencies.
- Develops capacity planning models.
- Assesses network performance to ensure that it meets the present and future needs of the business.
- Network/Telecom systems availability and performance levels meets the needs of the business.
- Provides support for connectivity or related network/ communication issues for the user community.
- Provides documentation, training, and guidance for computing system clients and programmers.
- Provides responsive support for problems found during normal working hours as well as outside normal working hours.
- Issues resolved in a timely manner.
- Computing system clients and programmers receive required support through documentation, training and guidance.
- Provides Level 2 and 3 support.
- Troubleshoots, diagnoses, and resolves problems.
- Documents problems and resolutions for future reference.
- Issues diagnosed and resolved with minimal disruption in service to users.
Policies, Processes & Standards:
- Adheres to policies, processes and standards.
- Compliance to established policies, processes and standards.
- Assists in the development of a comprehensive disaster recovery plan.
- Assists in the development of disaster recovery plans with service providers and network carriers.
- Development of a comprehensive disaster recovery plan.
- Assesses service performance risks and provides input for contingency planning.
- Analysis and identification of performance risks and plans for mitigation.
- Works with vendors to resolve network/telecommunications problems.
- Assists in negotiation efforts for contracts with external vendors or individuals.
- Ensures that external parties are adhering to contract requirements.
- Notifies management when contract requirements are not being met.
- Reviews all invoices and resolves discrepancies.
- Network/Telecom problems resolved quickly.
- Contribution to development of vendor contracts to ensure alignment to business needs.
- Evaluation of vendor service to ensure compliance with requirements and agreed to service levels (SLAs).
- Ensures invoices are accurate and discrepancies resolved, if required.
- Conducts technical research on network / telecommunications upgrades and components to determine feasibility, cost, time required, and compatibility with current system.
- Evaluates, selects and implements tools to improve the quality and effectiveness for monitoring/ administration tasks and enhance security levels.
- Network/Telecom upgrades and components meet the needs of the business.
- High quality and effective monitoring/administration and security levels of Network/Telecom systems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree or technical institute degree/certificate in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field. Or equivalent work experience.
- CCNA or equivalent experience.
- Typically requires 5 – 7 years of relevant IT work experience.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally, as necessary.